ste-ROID



This was the second project of my material and lighting class. We had to come up with a object/character with the style of a movie or cartoon. So obviously I chose the theme from the Pixar movies Cars. I Loved the characters in that movie how each had there own persona. Being the sports person that I am thought of the idea of a football car character jacked up on some steroids. I went through some ideas in my head, like what kind of car to make, and what aspects of a football should I add to the car. I knew I wanted the facemask, and the football helmet shape. So9 I decided to go along the look of a SUV like car, since they have a big look, but can also have some speed. Its modeled slightly after a range rover. Most of the cars in the movie aren't exact replicas of real cars, most of them had softer edges, and more roundness to them. So that's what I was trying to go for with this character. The body of the car is shaped like a helmet, so it has the stripe down the middle, and a logo on the side.





The lighting was much simpler then the bathroom sink project. It's basically just a 3 point light setup, with a key, a fill and a back light. I had to add another fill light in the front because of the shape of the car, it left the front of the mouth area in too much darkness. Next came the reflection of lights. In the movie, when lightning McQueen is racing, you can see all the lights from the stadium reflecting of his body. I wanted to create that effect too.







I made a stadium like setup with the spotlights you would see from a stadium. I put point lights on them and turn there diffuse attribute off so it wouldn't wash out Roid, but still reflect off him. I then made 6 copies or so and circled it around him giving the effect of stadium lights. The project came out the way I wanted it to. I wish I had more time with it though, It was during finals and I had to get some other projects done, but I plan on rigging it after I finish my rigging class, then I can play with it a little more.



No comments: