Material and Lighting

This was a class assignment I did last quarter for material and lighting. Beginning that quarter of school I told my self to start pushing myself in my work. I felt that before that I was just kinda hanging around. So I took it upon myself to really go above and beyond on the first assignment of the class, and i think I achieved my goal.





The image to top is the original picture I took from my digital camera of my dirty bathroom. The picture to the bottom is done in 3D. I modeled, lit, textured and rendered it on my own. The modeling wasn't too difficult except for the sink, reasons being is that I think the image had some sort of distortion on it because I measured my sink for its dimensions and everything, and my model just didn't match up with the picture. So i ended up just deforming the sink to look like it did. So from any other angle the sink would look like a misshapen oval.




The most difficult part by far was the lighting. The picture had a mixture of hard and soft shadows. But my bathroom only had 2 lights in the room, so I had to figure out how to get some of the objects to cast soft shadows and others hard. I went through many trials and errors, and I'm so glad, i learned so much from this project, that now i find myself getting through lighting and texturing stuff so much faster. I used some basic light linking to get the right shadows from all the objects but will still getting the shadows a light Grey color. I then found that I can turn the shadow intensity to a negative value!! This made a little light bulb in my head go off and knew that I could change the light intensity so low that it wouldn't effect the overall materials and then crank up the negative shadow, resulting in a very dark shadow, while keeping the the ones I wanted light.


After that It was just a process of trial and error trying to get everything to look right. The textures were pretty simple. Just used a UV layout program and applied the right textures to what I think I saw. I wish i spent more time on them though. Overall i fell that this project came out as a success. there are still something to me that jump and I think "wow! that looks horrible!" but I'm sure I will feel like that on 90% of my projects.






No comments: